Memorial Day is a day for remembrance of those who have died in service to our country. In the tradition of The Virtual Run Challenge paying tribute to these soldiers we are introducing our first annual Memorial Day Virtual Running event. Our Remember the Fallen virtual run will be a distance of 21k. 21k was chosen for the distance because it is commonly recognized as the highest honor by many nations. Also, represented by the number 21 and is also depicted in this year’s finisher medal is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. During the guard repeats the following routine until they are relieved:
- Marches 21 steps south down the 63-foot-long (19 m) black mat laid across the Tomb.
- Turns and faces east, toward the Tomb, for 21 seconds.
- Turns and faces north, changes weapon to outside shoulder, and waits 21 seconds.
- Marches 21 steps down the mat.
- Turns and faces east for 21 seconds.
- Turns and faces south, changes weapon to outside shoulder, and waits 21 seconds.
“We do not know one promise these men made, one pledge they gave, one word they spoke; but we do know they summed up and perfected, by one supreme act, the highest virtues of men and citizens. For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue.”
– James A. Garfield